Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Alma Mater (Not So) Dear

Last Saturday was homecoming weekend for Barber-Scotia. I didn't go, since Scotia and I did not part on good terms. Oh, I received my degree and all, we just didn't have a healthy relationship. If I were to describe my matriculation, I would compare it to living with a crack-whore mother.

Some people may call that a little harsh, but that's the nicest thing I could think of. The school was falling apart around us, literally falling apart. One of the girl's dorms, Graves Hall, was actually condemned my senior year. The student union (excuse me the college union as unofficially named by the then president) leaked and the ceiling was falling in on the upper level.
I can't even begin to describe what actual classes were like. So it was no surprise when the school lost its SACS Accreditation.

Fortunately they lost accreditation the year AFTER I graduated. Unfortunately they recalled 30 degrees from my graduating class (don't worry, I still have my worthless degree). The past 2 1/2 years have been a comedy of errors as the Alumni Association tries to keep the school going.

This year they celebrated homecoming at a school with only 8 students. I don't know if I should admire their spirit or call them crazy.

2 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

My husband went to Barber Scotia for 4 years. He ended up finishing his degree in Washington State at Western Washington University when we lived there for two years. But he still considers himself a Barber Scotia Alum. And it's weird because he is always telling me about the horrible things that went on when he was there. The embezzling and all kinds of crazy stuff. But he still has love for Scotia. LOL. Go figure.

Ginny said...

Oh my gosh, small world.

It seems that Scotia has a legacy of corruption. I'm still trying to muster up some sympathy, but it's hard.

I think they are looking for a President. Since they loss their accreditation in 2004, they've hired 2 people with no experience in College Administration. It's no wonder why they can't get back on their feet.

The truth will never be told about that place.