Monday, January 08, 2007

Still Don't Get Myspace

I have never understood the appeal of Myspace. Even way back when it was a hang out for teens and pedophiles I couldn't see the point of it. Now everyone and their momma has a Myspace page. Everywhere I turn someone is preaching the values of having a Myspace page. Guess what, I still don't get it.

Last month my stupid behind cousin called me and had the nerve to suggest I set up at Myspace. This is the way the conversation went:

SAC : Man Ginny, You need to get on Myspace.

Me: Why?

SAC: Networking man, networking. I got this writer, spoken
word poet guy that friended (still trying to figure out if this is an
actual term) me.

Me: Uhh huh. So how exactly does this count as networking. I mean do
you exchange email, chat online or anything? Has he hooked you up with
some of his contacts or vice versa?

SAC: Uhh, no. Well actually, I haven't seen or spoke with him
since he friended me.

Me: Oh yes that's networking at its best.

SAC: Seriously Ginny, I'm just saying you should try it.

Me: I'm sorry but until someone can explain how having Peaches69
(sorry if that's an actual name) as a friend with the standard
hootchie club photo with her girls counts as networking, I'm going to have
to pass.

I attended an online workshop where the presenter repeatedly stressed we should get a Myspace page but still never truly explained it. The closest I've gotten to a decent explanation was Candice. She uses it to email newsletters and alerts or something to that effect.

I guess I'm the last stick in the mud refusing to join Myspace.

No comments: